Monday, 2 October 2006

Book review: Tuesdays With Morrie


I could never care more or less about biography or autobiography. It always read from one person's point of view. I have not realised this book is a biography till the end. I was crying when I read it, the book is really a personal biography of two people, instead of one.

Mitch Albom was a great writer, and Tuesdays With Morrie is about life's greatest lesson. He had a mentor, once. His mentor was Morrie Schwartz, his professor back when he was in the college. Morrie was dying, and after 16 years, Mitch met his professor on his death bed.

They started a lesson every Tuesday, it's about the meaning of life. The unique way it was presented was the fact the writer knew the person so well, that their life experience was entwined with each other. It teaches everything a person should know; about world, regrets, emotions, death, fear of aging, marriage and forgiveness. This was what Morrie called Mitch's final thesis with him.

Mitch was the person we all know so well, which reflects ourselves, of aiming to work harder, to have more money, a bigger house, a new car - these cravings are all materialistic in its' nature. Morrie was a great teacher who embraced life in his full potential. He could never care more about these things, but he cared about his relationships with people and God.

At the end, it was what Morrie cared that had more life value than what we, as a human, wants in our life.

I cried, I cheered, I feel triumphed over their achievements in life.

I was crying when Morrie died, and I was crying when Morrie told about his childhood and the death of his parents. On Mitch, I cried when he wrote about his cancer-stricken brother, but cheered when he tried to amend the bridge between him and his brother.

This is an excellent book, and true to its promise, it is about life's greatest lesson.

0 musings:

Post a Comment