Thursday, 10 May 2012

The Hunger Games

There, have a look.

I didn't watch Titanic in 3D by the way. See that on the right? Did you see? Did you see it?

I went there for The Hunger Games. Unfortunately, since Malaysians do not seem to care about the film, there were quite a few cinemas still showing it.

My mouth expression went from this oooooooo, to this ooo000OOO. It was AWESOME!

My husband said the end of the story fell flat somehow. And then I told him, you should wait for the Quarter Quell (in Catching Fire) or the uprising of District 13 (in Mockingjay), to know the brutality of the movie. The Hunger Games is so not brutal compared to the other 2 sequels.

After the much disappointing Divergent that I reviewed earlier, this trilogy does not mince on words. It was epic, powerful, do killings for the sake of a game. It makes Divergent looks lame, somehow (OK, that's my opinion BTW, no pun intended).

Summary on The Hunger Games (I am well aware not many Malaysians read this series, but imagine how I feel when I want to rip off the posters when I entered MPH and they devoted one section with all those big posters promoting the movie and the book.. gahhh, I want to take the posters!):
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games.  A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy.  If she’s ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Ok, so I am done basically with the books. I speed read the 3 books in 4 - 5 days, just for the sake that I want to know what is the end of the trilogy.

Ok, Katniss can shoot the arrow and hit bulls eyes in seconds. Useful skill if you are going to hunt for food and kill the other opponents (rubbing hands gleefully while watching the scene of the Hunger Games countdown).

How many heroine that is so COOL like that?

I like The Hunger Games because Katniss Everdeen (she who potrayed Katniss colored her blonde hair to get the dull brown) is not a weakling (I am comparing this to some other characters) and made choices that transformed her life.

Now I can't wait for the next movie.

6 musings:

nMJ said...

Salam.

For me, there was no need for romance (my liking for the book-series reduced for the injection of the needless romance) and it would have been an awesome story. I wish Katniss was more real though...her situation was so convenient for her, tak payah bunuh orang secara paksa langsung...even Rue and Thresh's murder was taken off her hands. If it was a real situation, (kalau tengok gladiator zaman lama Rome pun), sometimes a hero has to make painful choices. Not a popular opinion I know, but I can't help wonder lah.

I like the Quarter quell better (despite the gruesomeness). Definitely not something I'd want younger children to read. I think Mockingjay is a let down though. Macam, klimaks di tengah (buku dua), lepas tu mendatar je. Huhuhu.

Akak, have you ever read the Bartimaeus Trilogy (The Amulet of Samarkand, Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate) by Jonathan Stroud? Give it a try if you want. I enjoyed it immensely.

aida said...

ok next to read, thanks for the suggestion though... my e-reader is adding one page.. growing numbers of unread books.. wahahah

since my earlier genres are mostly romance / chick lits, i find this book refreshing indeed

Aina Ana said...

Lama dah tak pergi memanah..dulu rajin je kalau pergi bercuti cari tempat yg ada tempat memanah. Seriusly addicted once you've tried it :D

aida said...

kak - aida nak panah macam katniss punya ok tak? cun aa.. hihihih

Aina Ana said...

Hihi..nak macam Katniss punya susah la sikit nak dapat. Kat Malaysia ni banyak yg carbon fibre..tp bila memanah 10 anak panah mula la terasa sakit tangan & jari jemari

aida said...

itulah, malas nak sakit-sakit tangan ni, hahahaha... tapi yang bow dia masa dalam game tu, mmg smart la..

Post a Comment